Wednesday 5 February 2014

Review: Witch Interrupted by Jody Wallace

This is my review for Witch Interrupted by Jody Wallace. I was given an advanced reader copy by NetGalley to review.

Publication Date: 24th Feb 2014


Synopsis:


Two decades ago, assassin Katherine Zhang faked her death to escape the Keepers, a secret council of witches who use magic to kill those who pose a threat to their kind. Once a powerful Keeper, she lives a solitary-but peaceful-life as a tattoo artist. Until a strange, handsome lone wolf named Marcus Delgado walks into her shop.
Marcus has his own reasons to hate the Keepers. A scientist who sacrificed himself to test the fragile boundaries between witch and wolf, he believes there's a way to harness the combustible power between the two species. If he succeeds, he'll be protected from the Keepers, but he needs a willing partner-and the delicious Katie just might be the perfect test subject.
Katie knows working with a wolf, an adversary she's undeniably attracted to, is a dangerous proposition...no matter how tempting she finds Marcus's proposal. But when a common enemy from their past threatens them both, working together might be the only option.

Review:

I started off reading this book a little bit confused as it seems to jump into the story without giving us any background about the characters and the location.

It does get better as we find out about the back-story of the characters. Really liked how the two main characters couldn't seem to resist each other despite a relationship between them being seen as taboo.

The minor characters in the book were enjoyable as well, I especially liked the feisty-ness of Katie's grandfather and he certainly gave me a few laughs throughout the book.

This is a paranormal romance but leans heavily towards the fantasy genre so it wasn't completely up my street.

I love a good shapeshifter romance but this just didn't hold my attention as much as I wished it had. I couldn't really connect with the main characters and found myself wanting to skip chapters to get to the end (I did resist!).

If you like a paranormal/fantasy novel don't let this review put you off as I think this book just wasn't to my taste. The writing was very good and the author was certainly an imaginative writer.

My overall rating for this book is:



I can only give this book 3.5 out of 5 stars because despite it being well written it just wasn't my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment