Thursday 2 January 2014

Review: Unscrupulous (The Manhattanites) by Avery Aster

This is my review for Unscrupulous (The Manhattanites) by Avery Aster. I was given a copy to review by Net Galley.

Publication Date: 14th Aug 2013


Synopsis:


In the world of the fabulous rich, some will pay any price to maintain social status. What if it costs them the one thing they’ve always yearned for? Love.
At thirty-three, Warner Truman is one of the richest men on the planet, a spa mogul who buys and sells resorts at will. He holds powerful executives' careers in his well-groomed hands. Nothing is beyond Warner's reach...until he meets her.
Stunning, tantalizing and perverse, Taddy Brill captivates Warner's carnal desire like no woman he's ever met. A self-made millionaire, Taddy is tougher than steel, more brilliant than diamonds and, at twenty-seven, she's never depended on a man for anything...until she meets him.

The more Taddy plays with Warner's affections, driving him to erotic heights, the more she is confronted by a dark past. Before she can love him, Taddy must meet her worst fears head-on or risk losing it all, including herself.


THE MANHATTANITES is an extended modern erotic romance series of full length juicy melodramas multilayered on love, friendship, scandal, and drama to the hilt. If you grew up reading Jackie Collins and Judith Krantz you will devour this series. Sex & The City fans who watch TV shows like Girls (HBO), Mistresses (ABC/BBC Drama), and The Bold & the Beautiful (CBS) love The Manhattanites series. Avery's characters are over the top. They have raunchy sex, speak their minds and always get what they want.

Review:

I am sad to say that I just didn't like this book, mainly because I didn't get it! I like fast paced books but this one was just supersonic! It was hard to follow along with the story, the characters weren't explained very well and there was too much branding in the book which detracted from the overall story. I also didn't particularly like the main characters Taddy and Warner they just weren't like able at all!

I believe this book is supposed to slightly mimic the 'Sex and the city' theme of sex obsessed women in Manhattan which may explain why I just didn't like it. I couldn't get on with the 'Sex and the City' TV series so this book had no chance.
Taddy was supposed to be this super successful and powerful woman but she just came over as a bit stupid to me!
Maybe I just didn't get the Manhattan culture that the author was going for as I come from the United Kingdom, but I had hoped that the characters at least would make sense for me.
I am really unhappy to say I have to give this book a low rating because it just wasn't my taste, but if you liked 'Sex and the City' it may be worth you having a go of this one.
So overall my score is only:



1 out of 5 stars






No comments:

Post a Comment