Monday 23 December 2013

Review: Bespelled by Dani Kristoff

This is my review of Bespelled by Dani Kristoff, I was given an advanced reader copy to review by Net Galley.

Publication date: 1st Feb 2014
ISBN: 9780857991218



Synopsis:

This isn't your mum's Bewitched...
Elena Denholm is a mild-mannered half witch. As a favour to her cousin, she agrees to meet with top Sydney lawyer, Jake Royston, to negotiate a property deal. Sparks fly immediately, but before they can even take a sip of wine, let alone explore where the sizzle might go, Jake is hit by a love spell and is helpless against his feelings for Elena. 
Jake may be at her mercy, but Elena is keeping her hands off — exploiting humans is a no-no. But Jake’s good looks and powers of persuasion are breaking down her resolve, and Elena knows she must do something fast. 
Desperate to set things right before her resolve crumbles, Elena begins a frantic search to find the witch or warlock who hexed Jake and return him to his right mind, even if it means breaking her own heart...

Review:

When I was reading the synopsis for this book I was certainly intrigued, I haven't read many romance books with the heroine being a witch!

The book started out ok, I liked the fact that Elena was a smart woman who made her own charms etc to sell and that she seemed really comfortable in her skin. I also really liked Jake, he is a Sydney lawyer and came across as charismatic and a bit of an Alpha Male.

I liked both of the main characters..... until they met each other, and then I didn't! I didn't like the whole love spell scenario and how Jake changed from an Alpha male to a whipped Puppy! it just didn't do anything for me!

Nor did I particularly like the secondary characters, they had no depth and didn't hold my interest.

I won't reveal the end of the book except to say that there was really no reason for the author to take Jake's character down the genetic route she did, it would have been a much more interesting story had she left him as he was.

I'm coming off very negative about this book, but truthfully it wasn't that bad. Did it entertain me? slightly, Was it a lighthearted and easy read? Yes. But I wouldn't recommend this book, nor would I read it again.

Therefore my overall review for this book is:

 2.5 stars out of 5





No comments:

Post a Comment